Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mr. Shakespeare, I can write an entire article on my name. And you ask 'What's in a name?'


My name is 'Mohammad Amiqu Ahmad Khan'.

Officially my name is 'Mohd Amiqu Ahmad'.

 

Does it matter to you?

Do you have any problem with it?

Does it ring bells in your ears?

 

Being well-cultured, well-mannered and well-educated person I expect a NO from you. But it is not the case with remaining 99% people (approximate).

 

Some has problems with my surnames. Why I have all the famous Muslim surnames in my name. According to them, I should choose any one among Mohammad, Ahmad and Khan.

I have never been able to understand their logics.

Do they have to pay anything to write or say all the surnames?

Or am I stealing some Government tax for having more then one surname…?

 

People say that why I use Mohd in place of Mohammad. They suggest that if I am using abbreviation, it should be Md not Mohd.

To hell with them and to hell with their logic!!! 

I am a free Indian and I also know English. English grammar says it loudly that you have full rights over proper noun.

Isn't my name a proper noun? Doesn't it sound proper?

 

And the most inquisitiveness is regarding the spelling of my name.

It should be Amique because after Q, ue is compulsory (grammatically).

I should be in line with words like Cheque, Unique, Mozambique……………

It's my name and I have full rights over it. Again I would like to give the same reason that I am just using the liberty of spelling a proper noun in its own way.

 

My surname is also spelled wrongly most of the time. Some time it is MohammEd. Some time it is AhmEd. Thank God! That nobody writes Kaan in place of Khaan.

 

Nobody raises a word when Merath is spelled as Meerut.

Nobody raises a word that why 'pore' is used in place of 'pur' as suffix in name of many cities (such as Barrackpore).

Nobody raises a word when 50% people pronounce Delhi as DEHLI.

Nobody raises a word about the spellings of diarrhea, pneumonia etc etc. 

 

Agar sab kuchh yehi khatam ho jata to koi baat nahi thi……….

 

The main problem is the n-types of pronunciation of my first name that I have heard since my childhood.

Ameet…………….. Ameek…………. Ameekoo………… Aamik………..Mohammad (few people had thought that it's my first name because it comes first)

And many more………….

 

99.9% people are unable to pronounce my name in first go.

100% people are unable to write my name correctly. (I sympathize with them. I understand that spelling is unique)

50% people pronounce it wrongly even after knowing it.

85% people write my name wrongly out of their habit, in spite of reminding them again and again.

 

I am fed up of all this and because of only this I have decided to discuss it on my blog.

 

An interesting incident happened when I received my degree certificate. It was handed over to me but according to that, some Mr. Mohd Amique Ahmad has passed B.Tech. with honors.

To hell with all this!!!!

 

chaar saal din raat ek kar ke humne parhai ki aur degree de di kissi aur ko

 

Finally, I decided to write a letter to authorities but they were asking for proof that I am Amiqu (bina E wala Amiqu). I attached all my previous certificates with the application. I highlighted a sentence especially for them. I want to let all the persons known and unknown to me, that special sentence of mine:

 

"THERE IS NO 'E' IN MY NAME "



No comments:

Post a Comment