Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The "Yum Factor" of my life

What flashes into your mind when you think of the word YUMMY? For me, it’s a variety of things which I intend to discuss here. I have had the privilege to dine at some fine restaurants during those hours when I could hog due to hunger. I’ve also been lucky to be able to treat myself during those not-so-hungry-yet-need-to-munch-something times. Bringing across to you flavours and mouth watering aroma from all over India.
Among these are few eat-outs which I have visited a few only once but the taste or the impact of the ambience is still vivid in my mind- so fresh and so yum.

So read on…a yummy article of a-not-so-yum blog by a non-yummy person.

 Karim’s, NCR
To me non-veg in Delhi = @ Karim’s.
When I am in Delhi, I just have to be there. Pick up any item at random from the menu and you can bet on its yumminess. Their mutton recipes are tastier than the chicken ones. When I was in Gurgaon, I tasted NIHARI (a ramzaan special dish).It was the most delicious nihari I have ever tasted. And don’t ever miss their chutney.

Al-bake, Delhi
A small restaurant at community centre, NFC. I still remember the first time when I was forced by my dear friend to taste its special Chicken Schwarma (a Lebanense dish). I didn’t like it too much in the first go. But on repeatedly tasting it, it became one of my favourite dishes till date. If you ever get a chance to go there, don’t miss it’s preparation. Watching it being prepared serves as an appetizer for the actual dish.

Paradise, Hyderabad
Luckily, during all my trips to Hyderabad I stayed opposite to Paradise. And my experience says that it justifies its name. Literally a paradise for food-lovers. Biryani is a subset of Hyderabad but Paradise is a superset of Biryani. Available in 3 variants- chicken, mutton & veg. Try any and satisfaction is guaranteed. Served with heavy quantity of raita, salad and shorba. The only negative point is the quantity they serve. It’s too much to be consumed by a normal person. Something like the stomach is full but ye dil maange more. Unfortunately there is no provision for half plate. Hope to taste another delicacy called haleem- a Ramzaan specialty at Paradise.

Chandni Chowk, Bangalore
This restaurant features in my post not mainly because of its taste but because of its ambience. It's a theme restaurant with typical Punjabi food. You see yourself inside a semi lit eat-out, pebbles under your feet, stone tables and benches, thin glittery curtains daintily hanging. The walls have larger than life pictures of Bollywood heroes and heroines. Soon you realise that they are also featuring on the table mats. The menu is interesting- made of cloth, embroidered and painted , green on one side and yellow on the other with things like roti-shoti, chai-shai mentioned on it. The turban-clad waiters add to the ambience. The food is good but a little heavy on your wallet. Anyway, a must try for a different experience.

Sri Guru Residency, Mysore
A pure vegetarian family restaurant with lot of variety to choose from and at affordable prices. While dining at Sri Guru, my meal always starts with Gobi Manchurian and fresh lime soda. Then follows a paneer dish with a combination of naan aur kulchas. Almost all the dishes are worth trying except a selected few which did not manage to tingle my taste buds. For desserts it’s got to be Gadbad (Sri Guru’s special ice-cream topped with fruits & nuts). Step out of the restaurant, and there’s paanwala will waiting for you. Have it and enjoy!!!

Golden Landmark, Mysore
The name itself indicates a Landmark restaurant and so it is. The best time to dine there is during weekends when buffet is served. This consists of almost 6-8 types salads (some names are like tongue-twisters), a variety in the main course ranging from Chinese to Italian to North Indian to South India and last but not the least 3-6 types of desserts. The taste isn’t really great but the ambience is good. A personal favourite because of its ambience and the variety they serve. A buffet there is worth every penny you spend!

Tundey Kebabi, Lucknow
If you are non-vegetarian, then you must taste tundey kebabs. I first got a chance to taste it in Sahara Mall, Gurgaon. During my recent visit to Lucknow, I relished a dinner of tundey’s kebab paratha. Awesomely yummy! Their specialty is galawati kebab and paratha. Must try!

Mezbaan, Aligarh
My favorite party place while I was in Aligarh. Karhai Chicken and Chicken butter masala prepared there have an unbeatable taste. My most favorite dish at Mezbaan is Chicken Manchurian. Its truly unmatchable. Yum factor is so high at Mezbaan that I cant resist going there whenever I get a chance.

McDonalds
The yummiest thing at McD is its newly introduced McNuggets- chicken khane ka naya style. I first tasted it as a mini breakfast at Gopalan Mall, Bangalore with a special person which made the nuggets all the more yummier. The barbeque dip is similar to tomato ketchup so it’s better to try mustard dip. McVeggie burger is my favorite. McPuff is ok but the stuffing is extra hot. So watch your tongue before it burns. Meal at Mcdonald’s has got to end with a McSwirl. And be careful while picking the items. I remember ordering a coffee, cola and burger all in one go and didn’t know which sequence to follow while eating! But the final statement always remains... M lovin' it !

Pizza Hut
It’s “The place” for Pizzas. When in a mood to have a simple one,Veggie lovers is a good choice. Can even try Shahi Panner Pizza for a more Indian taste to this Italian dish. Recently, when Lara Dutta persuaded so much, I gave Cheesy Bites a shot but didn’t find it worth.

KFC
Pick up a simple hot & crispy chicken delight and krushers. You will love it. Simply simple and simply yummy! Chicken that's crispy outside and juicy inside. That's Kent's Fried Chick simplified for you.

Dasaprakash, Agra
A south-indian restaurant located in Sadar Bazaar. I went to this restaurant only once in the Y2K but still the taste of dosa is fresh in my mind. The best dosa and the best nariyal chutney I’ve ever had.Yes, better than what you could expect in the land where dosas originated. Very delicious. I remember it being rather costly at that time. I paid Rs.50 when at other places it would cost merely Rs. 15. But paying so much was worth. No regrets!

1 comment:

Vijaya said...

Mouth watering delights...keep going! and treat me also someday...

Post a Comment