Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ami Aaschi (I am coming)


I am from UP but residing in West Bengal for more than 4 years. I have noticed many unique characteristics in Bengal and I have even written a post mentioning those.


'Ami Aaschi' is a phrase used by Bengalis when they are going away from you. I was born and brought up in area where people used to say 'I am going' when they are departing us. In Bengal they used to say 'I am coming' (Ami Aaschi). Initially I was wondering that why they are saying I am coming when actually they are going. I used to make fun of them for this particular phrase till the moment I realized the wonder in this two-word phrase. 

'I am going' and 'I am coming' has the same difference as the difference between a pessimist and optimist. When someone departs you by saying 'I am going' it shows that he is going and is not sure when he will be back or whether he will be back or not. Where as when a person departs by saying 'I am coming' it signifies that he is very much sure of meeting again. And he will be back soon.

So in the first case he departs with negativity and without any assurance of meeting again. He departs as a pessimist. Where as in later case he is full of confidence and optimism that he will come back for sure.

It taught me a lesson of my life that even a single word matters a lot. It may be a small thing but it does matter a lot. I have also accustomed of it and I always depart by saying 'aate hain'. It feels good when you are departing with full of optimism.

So…… I am coming…….. back with my next post.

2 comments:

Deguide said...

welcome Amiqu to Indiblogger, good to see your wonderfully designed blogspot, hope you will attend the meet at Mumbai

Deguide said...

welcome Amiqu to Indiblogger, good to see your wonderfully designed blogspot, hope you will attend the meet at Mumbai, correction i believe you are based in Kolkatta or west bengal

Post a Comment